Tuesday, July 09, 2013

hidden blessings

i think it's amazing how, during the worst of things, the best of things may actually be happening.

i've always been a forthright optimist, attempting to sow the seeds of positivity everywhere i go, mainly so people would be nicer to me (don't all gay kids fall into this trap?) and this optimism grew to eventually categorise me as "one of those people who are happy all the time" as an adult (though for far nobler causes than affecting one's attitude toward myself). a side effect of always seeing the glass half full, the rainbow amongst the clouds, etc. has been the ability to lessen pain with the promise of pleasure. this morning, as i was about to make coffee, a thought occurred to me: i do this every day. i drink coffee or tea virtually every day. i'm no caffeine hound (one or two cups of either in the morning suffices) but i do enjoy this daily ritual. a nagging thought followed, however, that made me realise i probably have a small addiction to caffeine, detected only by the immense headache that would probably result from me not claiming my morning fix. but then i further realised this may not be the case. the only days i don't start my morning with a dose of caffeine are those when i can't ingest anything solid, like when i'm hungover. and by the time the pain and nausea subside and the appetite sets in, the last thing i want is caffeine.

so i deduced, essentially, that by disrupting the regularity of my daily caffeine intake, the occasional hangover prevents me from forming an actual dependence, thus saving me from all-out addiction.

now i said i see life with the glass half full, not half-stupid, so i obviously recognise this may indicate another bit of a problem a'brewing, but there's always the health-boosting, anti-aging benefits of resveratrol to consider as a redeeming factor, or the queen mother's 70 units of alcohol per week being responsible for her living to 103 ripe years of age.

cheers! 

No comments: