Wednesday, March 19, 2008

disgusting



that i am.
above you'll find an open pastry box...not from some renowned astoria bakery, but instead from entenmann's. an entenmann's pastry box with barely an eighth of the contents left. a 'fudge iced golden cake,' to be exact. the skeletal remnants of my last impulse purchase (the one before that sits warmly on my feet at this very moment).

as i ventured out three nights ago to buy the week's staples, usually consisting of soy milk, high-fiber english muffins, and bananas, and usually conducted at the local organic/health food store, i was arrested by the flashy advertisement of the provincial associated food store, and almost involuntarily drawn in.
ok that was a bit extreme. it was cold and i was cranky and didn't feel much like walking the extra long block to the health food store.

anywho--red basket in hand, i sought out the soymilk, bananas and high-fiber english muffins and on my way to the registers the nostalgic, flirty blue "entenmann's" script caught my eye, and for a brief, wicked second, i considered purchasing this wonderfully sweet looking treat. i checked the nutrition facts on the side, as instinct required, and a look of horror crossed my face as i saw 13 grams of fat per 1/8 of the cake! 13 grams and neatly accessorized by 35mg of cholesterol AND a whopping 210mg of sodium. that means, had i purchased this overwhelmingly exorbitant indulgence, and, no doubt, eaten the entire thing myself as habit often was, i would've consumed 104 grams of fat, 280mg of cholesterol, and 1680mg of sodium!!

as the scene of the crime above clearly depicts, i gave into temptation and bought the cake...and ate 7/8 of it. and as i finish this very sentence, i'm stuffing the last bite into my mouth.
do i regret it? not a bit. am i going to run an extra 85 miles this week? more like 104 extra miles--one for each gram of fat.

so if tomorrow's half-naked thursday pic happens to fill the frame a little more than usual, you'll know where to attribute the extra baggage.

i'm out
xo

6 comments:

Silly Billy said...

Can I tell you, that very same Entenmanns cake is my absolute FAVORITE. It is awesome. And I have been know to eat the whole box too by myself.

I don't eat anything else from Entenmanns except that. But I have not had any in a VERY log time, but now you got me wanting to hit up the store. Damn you Bryan, damn you!

Silly Billy said...

Can I tell you, that very same Entenmanns cake is my absolute FAVORITE. It is awesome. And I have been know to eat the whole box too by myself.

I don't eat anything else from Entenmanns except that. But I have not had any in a VERY log time, but now you got me wanting to hit up the store. Damn you Bryan, damn you!

Silly Billy said...

See, I was so excited about it I accidentally posted the same comment twice!

Chris said...

You should try putting a slice in the microwave for ten seconds.

Heaven.

You live in Astoria? I grew up there. I visit my parent's there once a week and raid their fridge. (Damn Manhattan grocery prices)

Doghigh said...

I'm just grateful that the Girl Scouts haven't gotten their filthy mits into Associated. I'd be fucked sideways.

Hamilton said...

I have been good with the sweets for a long time till last Friday. I drank two cans of coke, one brownie, one alfredo sauce soaked pasta dish with shit load of cheese as well. In the afternoon, I had two slices of chocolate cake. Toward the end it was just a mindless self destruction phase.

The sugar rush definitely lasted a while and then it turned into gagging and strong desire of puking. argh..